Sunday, December 24, 2017

More Comfort & Joy

Too many recipes for just one post, so here we go again...



1.
So the Pioneer Woman totally inspired me. I like to watch her show while I fold laundry and I was totally drooling over her cinnamon rolls! However, once I started making them, I just couldn't add the amount of butter and sugar her recipe calls for. I am sure her cinnamon rolls are to die for (and I adore her and her blog) and some day I may try her actual recipe. But this time I decided to play one of my favorite cooking games - how much fat and sugar can I remove from this recipe and still make something delicious? And I was pretty pleased with how these turned out!

Serves 30
INGREDIENTS
2 cups milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar, divided
1 packet active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups flour, divided (plus more for rolling)
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. + 1 pinch of salt
2 sticks softened butter
Cinnamon
Cooking spray
2 cups powdered sugar
2 T. maple syrup
2 T. coffee (or milk)
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large pot, mix milk, canola oil and 1/2 cup sugar. Heat over medium until small bubbles start to form. Remove from heat and cool 45 minutes. Sprinkle yeast over the cooled mixture and let sit for 1 minute. Stir in 4 cups flour. Cover and let sit 1 hour. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 t. salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
2. On a floured baking surface, roll HALF of the dough into a 15"x 11"rectangle. Coat with 1 stick of softened butter and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar and a generous amount of cinnamon. Starting with the long end farthest away from you, roll the dough into a tight log. Pinch the seam together at the end. Spray a 9"x 13" baking pan with cooking spray. Cut the roll into fifteen 1-inch slices and place cut side up in the prepared baking dish. Repeat the process with the other half of dough. Cover and refrigerate up to 1 day or proceed with Step 3.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees while you let the rolls rise on the countertop. Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Use an electric mixer to combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, coffee (or milk) and a pinch of salt. Drizzle over hot rolls.


2.
"Come on! It's like cornbread and corn together in one dish!" I said to my 3 year old. He eventually tried it and gave it a thumbs up - which is high praise in our household. This is a great potluck dish that goes well with just about any meaty main. We served this one with turkey and mashed potatoes and then again with pulled pork and green beans. And I could also totally eat this for breakfast...

Corn Casserole (adapted from my friend, Jess) - V
Serves 8
INGREDIENTS
1 stick of butter
1 cup light sour cream
1 beaten egg
16 oz. can of corn, drained
16 oz. can of creamed corn, not drained
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 T. sugar
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Bake 1 hour our into light golden brown.


3.
I make some version of this dish on a pretty regular basis. But this recipe is by far quicker and tastier than any I've made before! And all of the ingredients can be stocked in your freezer and pantry for whenever you need a quick meal! Win, win, win!

Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
8 oz. penne pasta
2 T. butter
4 Italian sausages
12 oz. bag frozen peppers and onions
Salt & pepper
2 T. tomato paste
3/4 cup chicken broth
Parmesan cheese for serving.
DIRECTIONS
Cook pasta according to package instrucions. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Pierce sausages with a fork and cook in skillet for 6 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove from pan. Add frozen peppers and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook 4 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Return sausages to pan with chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 2 more minutes until slightly thickened.


4.
I make these every year and I love them! However, I'm currently staying in a vacation house without my usual kitchen tools - most importantly, my electric griddle - and I am reminded of how much I stink at making pancakes without it! So please ignore the uneven browning under all of that whipped cream and I'll try to forget the spongy texture and remember how delicious they have been every other year I have made them! 😠
Makes 12 
INGREDIENTS
3 cups complete buttermilk pancake mix
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup water
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. nutmeg
Cooking spray
Whipped cream, sprinkles, and maple syrup for serving
DIRECTIONS
Heat an electric griddle to 375 degrees. Combine pancake mix, coffee, water, molasses and spices in a large bowl. Spray griddle with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to ladle batter onto the griddle. Cook 1-2 minutes per side. Serve with whipped cream, sprinkles and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment