Saturday, March 25, 2017

Soup's On!

I love soup! I could eat it every single day! And when I was trying to track down a Potato Leek Soup recipe I made a few years ago, I came across a hilarious e-mail that I sent to my sweet brother-in-law. He was trying to eat healthier and do more cooking at home and had asked me if I had any good soup recipes to share. I literally sent him 15 soup recipes!!! The poor guy was probably completely overwhelmed and totally convinced that his new sister-in-law was insane! That e-mail did remind me, though, why I love blogging about food. Because in an instant, I can come up with 15 recipes for soup that I have made, that I distinctly remember, and that I love! And perhaps there is an audience for that, beyond my brother-in-law. Even if that audience is only me, not wanting to dig through my e-mails to find the Potato Leek Soup I made 3 years ago. :)



1.
Back when I was a CSA subscriber, I was always looking for new ways to use up our weekly vegetable supply. And one week when we had an abundance of kale, I found this awesome recipe!

Serves 6
INGREDIENTS
2 t. olive oil
8 oz. ground sweet Italian sausage
1 c. thinly sliced celery and leafy tops from center of bunch
1 medium yellow onion, diced medium
1/2 c. dried lentils
6 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 bunch (about 1/2 lb.) kale, stems removed and torn into bite size pieces
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 t. red wine vinegar
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add sausage and use a potato masher to break up meat. Cook about 5 min. until golden brown. Add celery and onion and cook about 5 min. until softened. Add lentils, broth, and 1/2 c. water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, partially cover, and cook until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 25 min.
2. Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Return to a rapid simmer, cover, and cook about 5 min. until kale wilts. Remove soup from heat and stir in vinegar.


2.
This is another delicious soup for a time when you want to indulge! It starts with butter and bacon and ends with creme fraiche and chives - so you know it's going to be good. :)

Potato Leek Soup (adapted from Emeril Lagasse) - GF
Serves 6
INGREDIENTS
2 T. butter
2 strips bacon, chopped
2 leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 bay leaves
1/2 t. dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
5 c. low sodium chicken broth
4-5 russet potatoes (~ 1 lb.), peeled and diced
1/2 c. creme fraiche or sour cream
Chives for garnish (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Melt butter in large soup pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook 5 min. until bacon is soft. Add leeks and cook an additional 5 min. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20 min. or until potatoes are soft. Remove and discard bay leaves. Blend soup in batches to desired consistency. (I like mine a little chunky.) Stir in creme fraiche and garnish with chives, if using.


3.
This is a favorite of the boys and a great meal train recipe for families with young kids. Add a salad and some homemade cookies and you are sure to brighten the day of whoever you share this meal with.

Serves 8
INGREDIENTS
9 c. hot water
3/4 c. carrot (about 3 large, or 15 baby), chopped
3/4 c. celery (about 3 large stalks), chopped
1 c. onion (about 1/2 large), chopped
1 1/2 T. chicken bouillon
1/2 t .salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 rotisserie chicken breasts (about 1 lb.), chopped
DIRECTIONS
Combine water, vegetables, bouillon, salt, pepper and chicken in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 min. Add noodles and simmer an additional 10 min.

1 comment:

  1. Just fixed a typo on this - should be 1 1/2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon, not teaspoons :(

    ReplyDelete