Monday, February 6, 2017

Cinnamon

One of my all time favorite spices and one of my all time favorite words to make my two year old say - "Cinnamon."


1.
I'm not a huge dessert person. But, when it's cold outside one of my favorite treats to enjoy after the kids go to bed is a steamy cup of hot chocolate. The mixes don't do it for me. Even when you find one without a bunch of junk in it, I still feel like there's a weird saltiness to it. On the other hand, at the end of the night I don't want to go to a lot of trouble for a great cup of hot chocolate. So this is my compromise. Enjoy!

Serves 1
INGREDIENTS
2 T. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 T. + 1 c. milk, any kind you like
2 t. light brown sugar
1 t. cocoa powder
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
1. Microwave chocolate chips and 1 T. milk in a microwave-safe mug for 1 minute. Add sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir with a fork until well-combined.
2. Microwave 1 c. milk in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup for 2 minutes. Add hot milk to the mug a little at a time, stirring well with a fork after each addition.

2.
Sweet potatoes for breakfast? Yes, please! This is a modified version of a Week 2 breakfast from my 2013 cleanse and a delicious way to start the day in the fall and winter. I usually bake a bunch of these on an evening when my oven is still hot from dinner. Then I just microwave and top them in the morning.

Serves 1
INGREDIENTS
1 medium sweet potato
1/4 t. cinnamon
2 T. chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick sweet potato with a fork and wrap in foil. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Split open with a knife. Sprinkle cinnamon and pecans over potato.


3.
You can thank my husband for this recipe. Our family had dinner at Red Robin over the weekend and my request for a take-home donut tower was denied. Luckily, I'm resourceful...

Makes 24
INGREDIENTS
Canola oil
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 t. baking powder
1 egg
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. melted butter
1/2 c. milk
Cinnamon and sugar
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat 2 inches of canola in a heavy medium saucepan over medium high heat until a candy thermometer registers 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together the flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk together the egg, sugar, butter and milk in a large bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
3. Use a small cookie scoop to portion and drop batter into hot oil, about 6 donuts at a time. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain the oil temperature. Fry donuts until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
4. While the donuts are still hot, drop them into a bowl with 1/2 c. sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon. Roll the donuts around until they are well coated.

No comments:

Post a Comment