Friday, March 3, 2017

Kid Approved

If you've checked out My Food Philosophy, you already know I dislike "kid food." I refuse to make separate meals for the boys at dinnertime. I expect them to eat what my husband and I are eating - and for the most part, they do. However, I also want them to enjoy eating as much as I do and I'm constantly looking for recipes I think they will like. So here are 3 recipes made especially for and approved by the Giesler boys. :)



1.
I made these for the boys, but I totally can't stop eating them! They have the perfect chewy texture and sweetness from the honey. They are nut free and gluten free (if you're into that). And don't even get me started on the smell of them baking in the oven...

Fruit & Honey Granola Bars (adapted from Cooking Light) - GF*, V
Serves 16
INGREDIENTS
Cooking spray
2 c. quick-cooking oats*
1 c. flaked unsweetened coconut
1/2 c. sunflower seed kernels
1/2 c. flaxseed meal
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/2 c. dried apricots, chopped
5 dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. maple syrup
3 T. brown sugar
3 T. butter
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 in. glass baking dish with foil, allowing foil to extend over the edges of the dish. Spray foil with cooking spray.
2. Spread oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, and flaxseed into the prepared dish in a single layer. Bake 10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oat mixture and dried fruits.
4. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Pour over oat and fruit mixture, stirring with a rubber spatula to coat.
5. Firmly press oat mixture into prepared glass baking dish, creating an even layer. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Use foil "handles" to lift bars from baking dish. Cut into 16 bars.


2.
I'm not typically a fan of recipes from Parents Magazine. I generally find them to be bland, or as my picky-eater husband would say, "non-offensive." That being said, a Parents Magazine recipe is pretty much guaranteed to be easy, fast, and something your kids will eat. Which counts for A LOT!!! (Check out more Easy Weeknight Meals from Parents Magazine.) I made these fajitas at my in-law's house last weekend and I really liked them! The grown-ups spiced them up and my kids ate vegetables. Win-win. :)

Shrimp Fajitas (adapted from Parents,com)
Serves 4
INGREDIENTS
1 T. olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 yellow sweet pepper, sliced
1 small zucchini, chopped
10 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 1/4 t. ground cumin, divided
Salt
10 oz. steam-in-bag frozen corn kernels
2 T. cilantro, chopped
Fajita-size flour tortillas (I like Mission)
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream
DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in a very large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 min. Add zucchini and cook 2 more min. Add shrimp, 1 t. cumin, and a dash of salt and cook 2-3 min. more until shrimp is cooked through.
2. Cook corn according to package instructions. Pour into medium bowl and stir in 1/4 c. cumin, a dash of salt, and cilantro. Serve alongside fajitas.
3. Assemble fajitas with tortillas, shrimp mixture and optional toppings.


3.
If you ever had Cocoa Cream of Wheat as a kid, this will bring back memories! I definitely prefer the maple syrup Breakfast Quinoa I posted last week. But the boys don't gobble that one down nearly as fast as this more decadent version.

Cocoa Quinoa - GF, V
Serves 1
INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup cooked quinoa*
1 T. milk
2 t. sugar
1 t. cocoa powder
1/4 cup diced strawberries
1 T. coconut
2 t. chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS
Heat quinoa and stir in milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Top with strawberries, coconut, and chocolate chips.
*See last week's post for cooking instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment